Monday, September 22, 2008

A Pinch of Salt






A senior colleague of mine, during his working trip down under stopped to visit me. He said he wanted to check on me but I think he actually missed me. You see, he liked to provoke and annoy me and he probably missed doing just that. On one day during the trip, he had asked me to drive him to his old landlady's who he has not seen for umpteen years. He had once studied at this part of the world, you know.

So we went to see Maureen for a cuppa at Margaret Street; a quiet road at the Rippleside. As I stepped from the car, I could clearly hear the sound of waves coming from St Helen's beach at the other end down the road. It was surreal and my colleague was so excited to meet his Maureen. She is in her 70's but full of life and she has this lovely cosy house with knik knaks all over the place, neatly arranged as if they are telling a story. As I was admiring the little blue china sets on the white mantlepiece and pots of Azaleas and Forget-me-nots, the two were busy catching up and rekindling memories. Somehow, I couldnt help noticing the other part of this colleague of mine. The part that I wouldnt have known if I had not been here to witness.

It tells me that sometimes, we are just too easy in judging others, yet we know so little about them. And we easily welcome praises. Perhaps, we should learn to take them with a pinch of salt.

No comments: